Celia Garth Gwen Bristow 9780690183481 Books

Celia Garth Gwen Bristow 9780690183481 Books
Another Old Skool romance, this book has aged remarkably well. Originally published in 1959, I remember reading it in high school. When it turned up on one of my subscription services, I was curious as to whether it would hold up over this years. Remarkably, it did, although today it would probably be labeled YA rather than something for adults.The story of a young seamstress caught up in the drama of the War for Independence, it draws the reader into the events of the Revolutionary War as seen through the eyes of one young woman. An orphan, Celia enter the employ of the notoriously picky Vivian Lacy, who can't find a dressmaker to suit her. Celia takes on the job and find Mrs. Lacy a perfectionist, but otherwise easy to work for.
As time goes on her life becomes ever more intertwined with Mrs. Lacy as the war steps up in intensity. The everyday lives of regular people under British occupation shows the stresses of being a revolutionary masquerading as a loyalist. As long as her safety is not threatened she works in the dress shop, where she keeps her ears open and passes along bits of information about British activity.
A pleasant read, although very much a work of the 50s, the book holds up very well.

Tags : Celia Garth [Gwen Bristow] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. During the revolution attractive Celia Garth, a seamstress living in Charleston, South Carolina, becomes a spy for Francis Marion,Gwen Bristow,Celia Garth,Thomas Y. Crowell,0690183488,Historical - General,Charleston (S.C.);History;Revolution, 1775-1783;Fiction.,Historical fiction.,War stories.,Charleston (S.C.),Fiction,Fiction Historical,Historical fiction,History,Revolution, 1775-1783,Unassigned Title,War stories
Celia Garth Gwen Bristow 9780690183481 Books Reviews
As a teenager and a young woman I read this book several times and, even after all of these years, I found it as riveting, exciting and beautiful as it was the first time I read it. The story starts several years into the Revolutionary War and follows a young girl from her naive youth through heartache, adventure and love. The character are so real you feel like you are reading history and a door is opening to a part of our countries past that very little attention has been given to. Oh we know of the battles and great people who fought in them, but there are long periods between these battles and a war that went on far more years then most people realize. Celia plays an integral role during these long years, risking her life as many others did operating as a spy for Francis Marion 'The Swamp Fox'. This book is a most read for anyone who enjoys historical novels or romances.
I loved this book! I ordered this book because we were going down to Charleston, SC for vacation. I love to read books that are set in the place we are going to visit. This book exceeded my expectations. We took a bus tour of Charleston and I felt like Celia was guiding my tour. I could understand how much our ancestors sacrificed for our freedom. I cried when I realized how much the original settlers gave up and lost to provide us with what we have today. I must confess that I did enjoy the love story part, making this book a great beach read. It was really nice to read about a woman who was strong, patriotic, loving and smart and used all those skills to serve her country. I would recommend this book to any young women who want to know how strong women in this country can be. I would also recommend this book for a plain and simple good history based read.
This book is quite unique. It deals with a great deal of the history of The Revolutionary War in and around Charleston, South Carolina.
The main character is a young woman who is an excellent seamstress. She has lost both of her parents and is quite alone except for
a cousin who is her enemy. Celia meets a young man while she was working in a dress shop, and they become engaged. However he is killed by the Tories before they could be married. She later becomes a spy for the resistance movement, and falls in love with the leader of the group. She is also employed by Luke's mother as a personal dressmaker, and lives at her plantation part of the time.
The book is really involved with the War efforts and how it affects Charleston and her citizens during this time. I enjoyed this story very much . Gwen Bristow is always a winner!!!
This historical romance, set during the American Revolution, was written in 1959, when historical romance was not synonymous with bodice ripper. Celia is a 20 year old seamstress living in Charleston, SC. The reader follows Celia as she lives through the British bombarding Charleston, the British occupation of Charleston, and finally when the Americans win the war. Along the way, Celia becomes a spy for General Francis Marion. Celia has romance in her life, but the romantic plot of this book is somewhat unusual. I cannot be more specific without writing spoilers. I loved this book as a teenager, and was curious to see if it held up several decades later. I still thought it was a good read. Of course, a book that is over 55 years old will have some issues. Celia's fiancé makes her give up her work as a spy, which I found annoying, but was okay to readers in 1959 before women's lib. Obviously, there were slaves in SC in the 1700s. I was surprised at how some of the African American characters were portrayed with dignity and respect. However, the book being from 1959, the author did refer to slaves as "colored," and did include some stereotypes, but not as bad as I expected. This is a very good story, even if it is just a tiny bit dated.
Another Old Skool romance, this book has aged remarkably well. Originally published in 1959, I remember reading it in high school. When it turned up on one of my subscription services, I was curious as to whether it would hold up over this years. Remarkably, it did, although today it would probably be labeled YA rather than something for adults.
The story of a young seamstress caught up in the drama of the War for Independence, it draws the reader into the events of the Revolutionary War as seen through the eyes of one young woman. An orphan, Celia enter the employ of the notoriously picky Vivian Lacy, who can't find a dressmaker to suit her. Celia takes on the job and find Mrs. Lacy a perfectionist, but otherwise easy to work for.
As time goes on her life becomes ever more intertwined with Mrs. Lacy as the war steps up in intensity. The everyday lives of regular people under British occupation shows the stresses of being a revolutionary masquerading as a loyalist. As long as her safety is not threatened she works in the dress shop, where she keeps her ears open and passes along bits of information about British activity.
A pleasant read, although very much a work of the 50s, the book holds up very well.

0 Response to "⇒ [PDF] Gratis Celia Garth Gwen Bristow 9780690183481 Books"
Post a Comment